Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Love is blind . . .

There's this story of a guy in love with a blind girl I received as an email forward. I had read this story quite a few times earlier. The first time I read it, it was really touching, making me think "does this kind of intense love exist in reality ???". Today I received the same forward again but when I read it now, I didnt feel a thing. It'd lost its essence after being read so many times, so I decided to give it a poetic touch. I decided to rewrite it in my words, my way. The result ? --

I close my eyes, too dark it does seem.
Thinking of her, I doze off to a dream-
-With her head on my shoulder she did cry,
Though I knew, I still asked her the reason why?

"I hate myself for I cannot see",
She cried with feelings of insecurity.
I held her hand and wiped her tear,
"I love you dear, so do not fear".

"I love you too but thats not all," she said
"I want to see the world, like a normal girl", she pled
Her only wish to see, I heard all the while
My only wish was to do something to see her smile.

I woke up all of a sudden from my dream,
"The surgery was a success!", when the doc did scream.
Tears rolled, as I enquired "How is she?"
She ran out shouting "Sweetheart, I now can see"

I groped to take her in my arms, to express my delight.
But fell of the bed, leaving her confounded at my plight.
Stunned, she moved back exclaiming "Oh! You cannot see too!"
"I hate blindness! Im sorry, you no longer are my beau."

A bitter feeling lingered as she walked out on me,
Tears rolled down again, she still chose not to see.
My love for her seemed nothing, my heart now cries,
Wishing she would atleast take care of 'my eyes'.

12 comments:

Solitaire said...

Only when put in someone else's shoes, we can realize what their pain is.

Sameera Ansari said...

That was lovely!

Mush said...

@solitaire
*Nice way or rather a different way of intepreting the meaning of this post and I second u on that. The feeling that thsi poem or the story from which my poems inspired revovles on different 'types' of love - unconditional, unrequited, intense, selfish, materialistic, etc. The guy loved her so much that he donated his eyes to her so that she would not hate herself for being blind and would be happy. The girl when she was able to see, didnt even thank the guy but "blindly" left him even before he could say anything because he was blind too. :) Love is definitely blind. :P

@ Sameera
* Yep had to be lovely for it talked about love ;)

Pavi!!!! said...

When I read ur poem..2 things came to my mind. Hellen Keller and then how we all forget to be thankful for simple things like eyesight and how we take these things for granted!

Read ur comment and figured out the story behind it.. How mean!

Pavi!!!! said...

Tagged..check my blog for details!

Anonymous said...

awesome musheer... really liked it... :)

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! So ur back. See ur as creative as ever when it comes to putting your thougths in writing.
Keep it up mush....keep writing to stay lively :)

- Karma

ishqia said...

i had seen a song conveying a similar story on one of the blogs.
u have expressed it beautifully.

Mush said...

@ishqia ...Thanks a lot, its not what the story is ,., its how its expressde that matters

Ashley said...

some of my queries
why is it u assume a blind person always want to see..?
for all u know .. the blind might be much happier as they can see much more than others who assume that they can..
Did the story u read have an ending where the blind actully gave up on another... on the contrary after living blind all their lives if they ever do get sight they would help others than otherwise..
" to know the pain and be there is the best way to know how it feels"

Unknown said...

awesome work...
i saw a video on youtube like that...
awesome expression:)pdatf

Anonymous said...

Mush, your flow of thoughts in the form of a poem transformed from an article is just commendable. Keep at it.