Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Prioritize

"Are you going to office today?", asked my 8 year old sister.

"Yes, I am sweety", I answered and also surprised as she knew that I am but still asked like I might not go to work.

That was my sister's innocent way of requesting me not to go to office but instead attend the annual day of her school that same evening. She really wanted all of us to attend and see her perform on stage. It was a big day for her. Although I knew I had quite a few leaves left and a lot of work pending at office and an important meeting which would help me in my promotion, without thinking twice I called up work and made my manager feel im sick.

Work, career, job has always been of least importance to me sometimes making me wonder if im normal because when I look around at my peers, cousins and colleagues, most of them prioritize these things at the top. Maybe they don't want to lose out on good opportunities, great future and all that which I know I have missed many times. Some friends think its stupid and foolish to give up something important for just a small moment of happiness, some think its too difficult a task, a few say you'll get prone to people taking advantage of you, but I say, at the end of the day I feel happy that I was the reason or atleast I tried to make someone feel good, or even just smile. Trust me, its worth it.

I feel if we all together try to think of the other person (Mind you, other person is not restricted to only family, folks or friends ) before we think of ourselves it not only benefits that person, but makes us feel good about ourselves, instills high self esteem, and the best - it keeps grudges, jealousy, prejudice etc etc .. away.

Again there's a catch. Its not as easy as its said. There'll be a lot of times ull be hurt, a lot of times where making someone smile will cost u your tears. You would feel stupid and curse yourself as to why you even thought of giving up ur happiness for someone else. I Know I am contradicting myself here, but it does happen. Well I have lived with it, its just that I choose not to expect the same from the other end.I choose to look at the good I have done rather than look at what I have lost.

Dont assume I live my life like this neither am I advocating it, lol. This is just an elaboration of a small instance in my life. Im usually selfish most of the times..;)

10 comments:

Lukkydivs said...

oye cho chweet of oyu...for having fulfilled ur litle sister's little wish :) and applauds ur way for those last few lines of doing good without any expectations from the other end :)

Mush said...

@divya
*gee thanks for being the first one to comment. and bow down at ur applauds ;)

Sukanya said...

it alwayz feels grt to take time out fr our luvd ones..

Sameera Ansari said...

Who is not selfish at least once in a while?It is absolutely ok.What matters is you think about others.

Have a nice weekend :)

Mush said...

@ Knatch...
* Welcome to my blog. yep feels wonderful .

@ Sameera..
* welcome to my blog .. thnaks.. and yea u too have a great weeknd:)

Sandhya said...

hi.

first time on ur blog.....

after reading this even i found dat sometimes its more imp. to give priorities to ur family also.....

Mush said...

@Sandhya.. Welcome to my blog.

Yes Family is always first ;)

ishqia said...

happiness lies in little things.
u may get a better opportunity than u lost..

Unknown said...

nice:)

Phoenix said...

that was a good one :)
I do agree.